Table of contents
If you are looking for the best caching plugin that will help you elevate your site’s performance and speed up your website to offer the best experience for your users. Search no more.
In this article, we will review some of the best caching WordPress plugins guaranteed to accelerate and transform your website completely. Caching is an issue that’s important for most websites, as it will allow you to increase the speed and decrease the wait time for your visitors.
What is Caching
Technically speaking, a cache is a hardware or software component that stores data for when future requests come in, they are served at a faster pace.
To simplify it, WordPress, as a content management system, saves all information on its database, and when a user requests to open your website, WordPress performs complex serving routs to deliver the web page to the user’s browser.
This process will take time and result in slow downtime on your website. While caching resolves such complication by processing intermittently requested data and collects it to temporary storage. Meaning, instead of repeating the same route over and over again at multiple degrees, caching will save a copy of the page most frequently requested and serving it for every demand.
In such a complex and labyrinthine web, using a WordPress caching plugin results to be essential for the welfare of your website.
Why do you need a caching plugin
For obvious reasons, caching your website will help increase your site’s performance and it will save you troubles of having to deal with slow serving time, which is an absolute no when competing for top charts.
We consistently mentioned how caching will improve your site’s performance, but what are other benefits from caching?
- Will improve your website’s speed for your users – As stated earlier the main and central reason why caching shouldn’t be one to skip is that it will speed up your website and offer faster delivery time even when multiple visitors frequent your website.
- Will improve user experience – Faster website means your visitors will be more prone to visit more pages off of your website, resulting in longer visits and lower bouncing rate. These are the words every website owner wants to hear.
- Will improve traffic – Not directly, but optimizing your website for speed will drive more organic traffic from search engines. Speed has been proven to be an important ranking factor for Google, as it gives greater significance to faster websites.
- Will improve TTFB – Caching serves can be an effective method from lowering your time to first byte. TTFB is simply a measurement of how long the browser has to wait until it receives the first byte of the data from the server.
After clearing the air with the most effective benefits your website will receive from caching, we will continue to show our top picks for the best caching WordPress plugins.
WP Rocket - Premium Caching Plugin
WP Rocket is a premium caching plugin, nevertheless, it is one of the best caching plugins. Two things that make this WordPress plugin stand out are that it is one of the most complete packet-feature plugins and comes with a super user-friendly interface suitable for even the most novice user.
WP Rocket is an all-in-one plugin that will provide top-notch features and amazing tools to help you increase your site’s performance. Its user-friendly interface makes it relatable for a broader audience of users.
That’s where the real power of WP Rocket is stacked, beginners can revamp their site remarkably fast with no difficulty due to the easily understandable settings and options.
WP Rocket is designed to work smoothly with the eCommerce website, seeing that these particular sites will most effectively need speed on their side. On top of that WP Rocket offers extensive documentation and professional support.
Best Features of WP Rocket
- User-friendly interface – This plugin adjustable to all users with no exception to newcomers lacking their knowledge on coding.
- Lazy Load Feature – With WP Rocket you can use the lazy load feature to load images as the user scrolls down the page, improving loading time.
- One-Click Cache – Once activated WP Rocket will automatically carry necessary tasks to create temporary storage for your webpages.
- CDN Support – To reduce abeyance of HTTP requests, WP Rocket works seamlessly with most Content Delivery Network.
- Cloudflare Compatibility – It will cache static assets like CSS, JS, and image files
- Google Font Optimization – This feature is scarcity in other cache plugins, it optimizes Google Fonts for faster response time.
- Multilanguage Compatibility – WP Rocket is compatible with the leading multilanguage plugins.
- Multisite Compatibility – With this feature, you can manage caching on multiple sites when running on multiple subdomains, subdirectories, or domains.
WP Rocket Pricing
WP Rocket is a premium plugin that offers three paid plans. Needless to say, it does not offer a free plan. The first plan comes at $49 per year for 1 website, $99 per year for 3 websites, and $249, all offering 1-year support and updates.
Although, technically it can be a one-time payment installation, but in order for the support and updates to be active you will need to follow up with the payments. The downside of this plugin is that it offers no free trial, but still they have a money guarantee policy in place.
Even if it doesn’t provide a free plan, this plugin is worth the money with the extensive feature package that it offers, some of which are exclusive to this plugin.
LiteSpeed Cache - Server-level caching Plugin
LiteSpeed Cache is a wonderous plugin that’s destined to supercharge your website. Often referred to as an all-in-one acceleration plugin, it offers a bountiful of optimization features. LiteSpeed will reach its zenith performance when matched with LiteSpeed Web Server.
LiteSpeed is a free plugin and offers great basic caching solutions and options. Although, to take full advantage of the best off-the-charts results you must be using the LiteSpeed Web Server. The reason we added this plugin to the list is its star potential to turn your website into a speed beast when done correctly.
Best features of LiteSpeed Cache
- Exclusive server-level cache – LiteSpeed provides excellent server-level cache, as the server will store the results of the requests. By doing so there is no need for data procession again and again.
- Direct Cloudflare integration – with the direct integration of Cloudflare you can control all your DNS records.
- Database Optimization – Will help you keep your WordPress database clean and efficient by eliminating the clutter that accumulates over time. So no need for a data optimization plugin.
- Smart Crawler – With this feature, you will be sure that your website will be cached at all times. It travels through the website and locates pages that have expired in the cache.
- Full Page Caching and Object Caching – With the Full Page Caching feature your content will be loaded to the visitors without needing to fully initialize the application. While Object Caching stores only a part of data.
LiteSpeed Cache Pricing
The good news is that LiteSpeed is completely free, you can download it directly from the WordPress repository. As mentioned, to reach the desired result you will need to have it matched with their LiteSpeed Web Server otherwise you can not enjoy all the amazing features it provides.
If you The LiteSpeed Web Server offer a free plan for 1 website only, but for those with more than one domain or those considering becoming a LiteSpeed hosting provider can choose a plan starting from $10 per month to $96 per month.
WP Super Cache - Free Caching Plugin
WP Super Cache plugin is a popular plugin among the WordPress community with a solid reputation as one of the best caching plugins. Maintained by the Automattic team, best be sure your caching will be in good hands.
WP Super Cache is a free and open-source caching plugin and requires no upgrade after installation. It offers an easy setup and has a somewhat user-friendly interface, this not being as flattering as WP Rocket. Still, it gets the job done, and does it effectively.
After installation, WP Super Cache will transform those heavy PHP scripts of WordPress into lightweight static HTML files. Offers all there is to offer in regarding caching, no over-the-moon, extensive features. WP Super Cache is designed to capture a larger group of users.
For beginners you can have got the Simple ode of caching, this is the default mode as it works commonly with a lot of users. It is easy to set up, is the least risky, will allow compression of pages, cache rebuilding, and CDN support.
For professionals, you have got the Expert Mod, which is more advanced and requires considerable knowledge. In Expert Mode, those who know what they are doing can cache their files to a great extent by modifying the .htaccess files.
Best features of WP Super Cache
- Regular Updates and Maintenance – Being first-hand created by the team behind WordPress speaks volumes that this plugin is here to stay. Updates will come out regularly and the plugin is constantly checked for malfunctions.
- Garbage Collecting – This is an amazing feature that cleans files that are our of date and stale. This is an automated process and is done regularly to keep your site’s speed up to check.
- CDN Support – WP Super Cache has integrated a CDN set up that allows you to page distribution by reducing the physical distance between the server and the user.
- Cache Rebuilding – This is a unique feature that serves cached copy to an anonymous user while a new file is being generated.
- WP-Cache caching – This is one of the three modes besides Simple and Expert. This mode caters to logged-in users, URLs with parameters, and feeds. This ensures they are served reliable performance while on your website. It is a bit slower than other methods, but it is also the most flexible.
- Great for newcomers – It offers a simple layout for those who are new to WordPress, after set up you will have all the necessary settings checked for you by default.
WP Super Cache Pricing
Best feature about WP Super Cache is that you can install it and activate it for free, there is no other paid plan with more advanced features. It is the real deal.
Simply install it from the WordPress Dashboard and activate it to get it started and enjoy the benefits it provides. One small downside is that is lack support and have no official documentation.
W3 Total Cache - The popular Free Plugin
W3 Total Cache is yet another popular WordPress caching plugin, and the reason behind that popularity is due to its amazing performance and that is free for installation.
W3 Total Cache has earned its reputation greatly with regular updates and is recommended and used by leading websites like AT&T, Yoast, Web Designer Depot and many others.
The beauty of W3 Total Cache lies in its open-source feature and the fact that you won’t need an upgrade to a premium plan to enjoy the benefits it offers. The offer great caching experience for your website, including CDN integration, page cache, object cache, gzip compression, and may more.
Best Features of W3 Total Cache
- Browser cache and Object cache – In you enable the Browser Caching setting, the plugin will dictate the visitors’ browser to save a copy of the page, thus reducing calls to your server. Object caching will allow storing database query results so when that result is needed it can be served.
- Mobile Support – Except for caching in desktops, W3 Total Cache offers caching even when users are visiting your website on mobile devices.
- SSL support – This feature will allow the plugin to boast which is useful for websites with SSL certificates and eCommerce websites making them faster.
- Multiple Support – This plugin is compatible with all kinds of hosting alternatives such as shared hosting, virtual private or dedicated servers and clusters
- Import and export files – This feature will allow you to replicate all W3 Total Cache settings to another website.
W3 Total Cache Price
Just like the WP Super Cache, this plugin is open-source and free to all users, you can easily install it and activate it directly from the WordPress Dashboard. It comes with a bountiful number of features.
The downside to this plugin is the complexity around all the options and settings, in one word the interface can be a little confusing for those who are just starting their website or those who don’t know their way around code.
Comet Cache - Featured-packed Plugin
We will follow up on our list with another free and highly popular plugin that has great records on its belt. Comet Cache is a “plug and plays” type of plugin, simply install it, activate it and you will be set to go.
Different from the last two plugins on the list, Comet Cache comes with a premium plan as well, which we will be covering in the last section.
Comet Cache comes with greatly advanced features, but they made sure no to leave their beginner users in the dark by providing extensive documentation and explanation for each setting. A full knowledge base and blog are provided on their official website.
This caching plugin will use advanced techniques to recognize whether or not to serve cached files. For example, Come Cache won’t provide cached files to logged-in users, or to users who have left comments recently.
The Client-Side Caching feature can come in handy, essentially you will be double caching, you will be caching your server on your end and the user’s browser on their end.
The Pro version brings even more advanced techniques like the Cache Rebuild that automatically build-cache every 15 minutes to make sure the content will stay relevant.
Best Features of Come Cache
- Automatic and Intelligent Cache Clearing – The Intelligent Cache feature will monitor for changes all your content in pages, posts, custom posts, categories, tags, links, and more, and only the appropriate files will be cleared. This feature is only available in the Pro version.
- Client-side browser caching – This feature will allow you to double cache your website, meaning you will be caching the server on your end, and also you will be caching the visitor’s browsing on their end.
- Automatic Cache Expiration Time – This feature will allow you to set an automatic expiration time for cache files.
- RSS Feed Caching – Including the RSS, RDF, and Atom feeds will be cached to ensure that none of your content syndication feeds are delayed.
- Easy and simple set up – Comet Cache offers for all their users their famous 2 minutes set up with a simple and well-documented configuration that is already tuned-in, ready for action.
- GET Request Caching & Exclusion – This feature will give you the ability to cache or ignore URLs of the certain query string.
Come Cache Pricing
Comet Cache is a plugin that comes in two versions, you can install and activate the free plan from the WordPress repository and take advantage of great out-of-the-box features. Also, Comet Cache has a premium version that offers a plethora of advanced options and features.
The premium plan starts $39 for a single website, raising to $99 for 3 websites and all the way up to $139 for unlimited websites. They all include a one-time payment fee and offer life-time updates and support for 3 years.
WP Fastest Cache - User-Friendly Interface
Closing down on our list is the WP Fastest Cache, a highly functional and effective plugin that’s deemed to speed your website. WP Fastest Cache can be installed and activated in a matter of minutes and will start the cache process by creating static pages on your website by using mod_rewrite.
WP Fastest Cache will arrange you with one of the simplest forms of page settings, basically all there is to it, is a list of checkboxes. Furthermore, additional great detail is that each set will contain a box in which they are properly explained.
Best Features of WP Fastest Cache
- Easy and Simple Settings Page – WP Fastest Cache will provide you with the simplest settings configuration, you will simply need to check the boxes you want to be enabled, as well as switch from different tabs to manage other features.
- Image Optimization– This process is one separately from caching so that the page is loaded faster.
- Cache Statistics – You can monitor your caching from the panel and they provide cache, mobile, js, and CSS statistics, that are easily accessed and assessed.
- Easy Upgrade to Premium Plans – If you want to upgrade from the free version of WP Fastest Cache they offer quick set up from the WordPress Dashboard. No need to download the plugin from the official website and upload it.
- Leverage Browser Caching – Stores commonly used files from your website to visitors’ browser so they don’t have to load every time. This will deduct on loading time.
WP Super Cache Price
WP Super Cache is a free plugin from the WordPress repository. It has great basic features for website caching and will improve your site’s performance noticeably. The set up is simple and straightforward, so it the page settings.
On the other hand, this plugin comes with premium plans that start from $59 for 1 website all the way to $245 for 3 websites.
WP-Optimize – Clean, Compress, Cache
WP-Optimize is another amazing all-in-one performance WordPress plugin that comes with built-in tools to clear your database, as well as compress your images and cache your website for better and faster load time. You can install this caching plugin for free in the WordPress repository as it has become quite popular among WordPress users.
After you install the plugin you can easily optimize your WordPress website for better performance as it offers a well-designed dashboard that is very easy to utilize. WP-Optimized is an amazing and highly efficient caching plugin to keep your WordPress website fast and fully optimized.
The caching process performed by WP-Optimize will increase the speed and performance of your website while it reduces the server’s use of resources. In order to ensure a high success rate of performance this caching plugin will also compress large images on your website by using cutting-edge lossy compression techniques.
Another important feature that the WP-Optimize plugin lists are that it clears your WordPress database and takes out only unnecessary data, as well as retrieves the space loss due to data fragmentation.
Best Features of WP-Optimize
- Cache Preloading – This feature ensures that the cache is always ready and loaded
- Image Compression -the plugin compresses images of different file types like PNG, JPG, GIF, BMP, and TIF pictures up to 5MB in size
- Advanced caching rules – This feature makes it available to cache anything, only excluding logged-in users, specific URLs, or cookies.
- Browser Caching – Your website will be cached on different browsers if no changes were made since the last cache.
- Google Fonts and Font Awesome optimization – WP-Optimize caching plugin saves the google font files so that when it is being required it will deliver the caching version of the font.
WP-Optimize is a free WordPress caching plugin and all the mentioned features above are available in the free version. However, if you wish to add more caching and optimization features to your website they also provide a premium version that starts at 39$ per month.
Cache Enabler - Simple and Powerful Caching Plugin
For those looking to find a simple caching solution yet that provides powerful options and great performance, then Cache Enabler is the right plugin for you. Cache Enabler is a great caching plugin that offers minimal configurations but improves the speed of your website outstandingly.
It stores static HTML pages on the server and serves them depending on the server requirements. This caching plugin offers a fast and efficient cache engine and all you need to do is install it and activate it.
Once installed on your WordPress website you can easily set the cache expiration, choose when to automatically clear the cache, or select certain content to exclude from being cached. That should be it. These are the main configurations you will need to make and the caching plugin will run on your website seamlessly.
Cache Enable is a simple and cost-free solution to caching your website and increasing its performance. This caching plugin has thousands of great reviews from users that have used Cache Enabler on their websites.
Best Features of Cache Enabler
- Simple Interface – The user interface is very simple and intuitive and offers all the main configurations that are easily adjusted by users of all backgrounds.
- Automated and Manual Caching Program – This caching plugin offers an efficient and fast caching program that can be automated or set manually.
- WordPress multisite support – The plugin will work great on multi-sites as well as support custom post types.
- Efficient and fast disk cache engine – Cache Enabler has a great and efficient cache engine that will improve your site’s load time.
Cache Enabler Price
Cache Enabler is a free caching plugin in the WordPress repository and all the above-mentioned features are available for free.
Hyper Cache - The open-source Caching plugin
Hyper Cache is yet another amazing WordPress caching plugin that is an open-source and quite capable tool to increase the speed and improve loading time on your website. What’s more about this caching plugin is that it runs solely on PHP, meaning no complex configurations are needed and you can run the plugin on any WordPress blog website.
The beauty of this free caching plugin relies on its ability to cache efficiently even on very active sites where there is a dynamic commentary or discussion participation involved. Another outstanding feature is that it offers different caching processes for desktops and mobiles.
Worth noting that Hyper Cache offers a simple and seamless installation process, capable tools, and user-friendly configurations that are particularly useful for beginners in WordPress that don’t want to deal with complex and unambiguous configuration settings.
Use this caching plugin for your blog website as it optimizes your bandwidth and improves the page loading speed time.
Best Features of Hyper Cache
- Free Solution – This plugin is an open-source WordPress plugin that can be installed and used on your website for free. It does not include premium plans.
- Mobile Caching – Hyper Cache offers the configurations to cache your website even on mobile devices.
- Configurable Bypass – This feature allows you to include or exclude certain pages, posts, post types, or more from caching.
- Compression Support – This plugin will support compression and optimizes pages to improve the bandwidth or data that is being transferred from your server to the device.
- Serving cached pages on blogs – This plugin will provide caching pages for users who comment on your blog. This helps maintain fast running blog website.
- CDN Support – The plugin offers CDN support tapping into a larger network of servers and speeding up your site even more.
Hyper Cache Price
Hyper Cache is a free caching plugin in the WordPress repository. It does not provide a premium plan.
Cachify - The Developer-based Plugin
Next on the list of the best WordPress caching plugin, we have Cachify, a free and outstanding plugin that optimizes your page load by caching posts, pages, or other custom post types as static pages. The plugin all the main features for a caching plugin and employs a simple and easy-to-use interface.
Cachify offers the possibility to cache your website via database, on the web server’s hard drive, or directly in the web server’s system cache. Whenever a page or post is loaded the plugin will automatically pull the content from the cache and reduce the PHP requests.
The plugin works with custom post types as well supports WordPress Multisites. One great feature of Cachify is the support community approach to development.
The plugin is a great free alternative for a caching plugin that offers all the main settings and configurations and help improve your site’s performance as well as speeds up your website with utmost functionality.
Best Features of Cachify
- Powerful Caching Features – This plugin will cache your pages, posts, or custom post types, and more to help improve the page load time and speed up your website with efficiency.
- Three caching methods – You can choose to cache your website either via database, on the web server’s hard drive, or directly in the web server’s system cache.
- Automatic cache management – This means that you don’t have to worry about setting manual configurations for the plugin to cache your website as it does the work automatically.
- Works with multiple website installations – The plugin supports the WordPress Multisite
- Community Support Forum – Cachify provides a community approach to plugin;’s development and comes available in the German language
- Cache Minification – The plugin will minify the page sizes by reducing the size of Java, HTML, and CSS files.
Cachify is another amazing caching plugin that is available for free in the WordPress repository and does not provide a free plan.
Simple Cache - The Simple and Lightweight Plugin
Moving on to the next caching plugin, Simple Cache is a lightweight and minimal plugin, in terms of configuration settings, but nevertheless, it provides some quite capable features to improve the speed and page load time. Simple Cache offers two settings, on and off.
After installation, all you need to do is switch the plugin on and it will run automatically caching your website all without having to deal with complex configuration settings.
Simple cache is the kind of plugin that you can install and leave to work in the background and you need not worry about its utility as it will prove to be a foolproof WordPress caching plugin. This plugin will handle even if you have a lot of traffic going on your website and you can easily clear the cache if you need to.
Best Features of Simple Cache
- Easy and simple – The plugin offers a straightforward process to cache your website with an on-off switch without you having to deal with complex configurations
- Gzip compression – Simple cache will compress your data as it takes unnecessary data and makes it smaller.
- No strings attached – If you don’t like the plugin you can easily uninstall it without having to worry whether your website will break.
- Handles a lot of traffic – This caching plugin works wonders with websites that deal with an abundant amount of traffic and handles it very well.
- Clear the Cache – And if you wish to clear cache for various purposes there is a simple solution for that as well.
- Advanced Caching – If you wish to get advanced with caching object there is an automated mode that will automatically set up and provides a persistent backend for the WordPress object cache using Batcache and Memcached.
Simple Cache Price
You can easily install the Simple Cache WordPress caching plugin for free in the WordPress repository.
Swift Performance - The most suitable for Multi-SIte Compatability
Swift Performance is a premium WordPress caching plugin that speeds your website effectively and improves your site’s performance with the other premium features like image and data optimization and tons of other premium tools included. Swift Performance offers a modern, effective, and intelligent caching system.
This caching plugin will increase the performance of your website have it run faster without you having to deal with complex configurations. Swift Performance offers an advanced database optimization feature that cleans duplicated metadata, expired transients, and spam comments.
The list of premium features is long and that is why we included it on our the best caching plugins list, because it works on multiple fronts and gives you additional options within the range of its capabilities.
Best Features of Swift Performance
- Plugin Organizer – With this feature, you can disable certain plugins on certain pages and have the plugins run only where it’s necessary.
- Browser Cache – This plugin will have all the browser cache that downloads website images, data, and documents for faster viewing in the future.
- Multisite Compatibility – This feature will have your multiple websites be cached with utmost performance
- CSS & JS Optimization – Most importantly this plugin will optimize the performance of static resources by minifying or combining the CSS files.
- Mobile Caching – Swift performance offers optimal caching for mobile devices as well so that your website is being cached for all devices accordingly.
- Extended CDN Support – On another note, Swift Performance offers extended CDN support to provide a seamless web experience to their end-users?
Swift Performance Price
Swift Performance is an outstanding WordPress plugin that offers both a free and premium plan for its users. The Swift Performance Lite is available for free in the WordPress repository. But you can also upgrade to their premium plans that start from 39.99$. Other premium plans include the Single plan that comes at a price of 99.99$ per year and the Developer plan that comes for 199.99$ per year.
During this article, we intended to provide you with insightful and informational knowledge on some of the best caching plugins for your WordPress website. The plugins were chosen based on performance and popularity, although that is not a deciding factor. Still, they all have a clean record when it comes to caching.
We will not be able to give a final verdict on what is the best caching plugin, due to the fact that each will perform differently depending on many factors such as a server, configuration, resources, and even physical location.
What would be a more intelligent move would be to try these plugins first, as most of them offer a free version and watch how they carry out on your website. You could try free resources of speed tests like Pingdom or GTMetrix. You could run speed tests on multiple times to have data for better analysis.
This way you will be able to personalize your caching plugin in a way and see which one fits you and your website best.